Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tokyo

Unlike Kyoto, which has a set of must-see tourist attractions, sightseeing in Tokyo is more about experiencing the different districts that form the city. Yesterday I started out at Shibuya - a little underwhelmed by the famous crossing, but was impressed by speedy service at the busiest Starbucks in the world - hopped one station over to the Meiji shrine, and then hung out with a group of HIFers (who all somehow managed to find each other) in Shibuya. Fun times - I'll miss them!

Got an early start to today by visiting Tsukiji fish market at around 5:30 - having read part of Theodore Bestor's book on Tsukiji last semester, I'm now impressed by how he managed to do research, let alone figure out the intricacies of the whole system, in such a hectic environment. There were many times when I thought I'd get run over. After a delicious sushi breakfast I went back to sleep and woke up at 12 to start my day all over again. I started at Asakusa (site of the Senso temple), before making my way to Roppongi (site of the obnoxious Roppongi Hills complex which screams 'modernity'), Harajuku (absolute insanity), Shinjuku, and then finally meeting up with Thommi, who was in the 1st year Japanese with me last year and did an internship in Tokyo this summer, for my last dinner in Japan. Plans for tomorrow - Akihabara, Ginza (the old Mitsukushi, flagship Uniqlo, Muji, Apple and Sony stores), Narita Airport, Hong Kong, home. And so it all comes to end.

I'm sad to leave, but am looking forward to vegging out in front of the TV (and watching an Olympic sport that is NOT judo), and to watching The Dark Knight. I really should pack.

No comments: